Meditation has countless benefits, with more being discovered each day; It can lessen stress and anxiety, prevent emotional eating, increase memory retention and recall and even reduce blood pressure. But the actual process of meditation can seem odd if you’ve never done it. So how can you start this ever-growing trend without donning white linen pants? Here are five easy tips to meditate today.
1. Focus on your breath- Don’t try to “calm your mind.” Rather, you can simply focus on the sensations of your breath. Try inhaling for a two count and exhaling for a two count, focusing entirely on how the breath feels. If you find your mind starting to wander, recognize that you’re thinking and bring yourself back to the sensations of your breath.
2. Arm and Hand Placement- Try to relax your shoulders and arms. Check if your shoulders are pinched up by your ears. If they are, take a deep breath, then roll your shoulders down and back. You can let your hands rest comfortably on your thighs or together in your lap.
3. Legs and Feet- You can sit in a chair or you can sit cross-legged on a cushion, both will work as long as your knees are below your hips.
4. Eyes- It is up to you what you want to do with your eyes. If you want to be more aware of your body and try to clear your mind, you may want to close them. If want to feel more anchored in the space you’re in, keep them open. I have a tendency to be easily distracted, and have always found keeping them closed helps.
5. Time- Don’t worry about meditating for too long. It’s more important to aim for 5-10 minutes to start, and continue adding time as it benefits you. This shouldn’t be so time-consuming that it adds to your stress!
Try these tips to begin reaping the benefits of meditation today!